Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crawling, Mine, and Everything in Between

On New Year's Day, I was on the floor encouraging Kyleigh to crawl.  "C'Mon, girl, c'mon.  You can do it."  She smiled and continued to rock back and forth, back and forth, but didn't crawl toward me.  Then, I looked at Ryan and said, "Why do I want her to crawl so badly?  It's just going to make my life busier with TWO on the move."

The very next day, Kyleigh began to crawl!  After 6 weeks of watching her attempt to crawl, she finally did it.  Prior to this exciting achievement, it had been a really hard day.  Both kids had me at the end of my rope; it was my first real day back to reality, and Ryan had to work until 7p that night.  Then, within the last hour of the day, Kyleigh started crawling and Reagan and I had a really sweet moment.  He was sitting on his fire truck and I was on the floor.  He leaned into me for a kiss on the lips (which he never does), said "buh bye" and rode into the other room on his fire truck.  It was the sweetest moment!

Now, 6 days later, Kyleigh is crawling all over the place!  She's still not very fast, but she can get wherever she wants.  She's crawled down the hallway from the living room and she's crawled throughout the whole kitchen after leaving the living room.  These are just a few examples of her getting around.  Today, I had to move the cat food away because she crawled right to it!  It's like Reagan all over again.

While her crawling is very exciting and brings on a whole new element of life, Reagan is not handling it very well.  Kyleigh is constantly crawling to "his" toys or "his" car, or you name it.  The infamous word of a toddler, "mine," had entered his vocabulary with force.  Anytime Kyleigh gets near something he's been playing with, he snatches it out of her hands and says "mine."  Even if it's her toy (like her new purse teether or her little TV), he still takes it away with a firm "mine."  How do you teach a toddler to value of sharing?  His opinion is "What's hers is mine and what's mine is mine."  :-)

Reagan has had several sweet moments in the past week.  My favorite was the day he got his "beet" (translation: blanket) from his crib and crawled onto my lap for me to read him.  He just curled into me and sucked his thumb.  Our moment only lasted about 10 minutes, but it made me remember why I'm home and so appreciative of the ability to stay home.

Reagan's other sweet moment is that whenever he says "Daddy," I often respond, "I'm sorry, honey.  Daddy is working."  Reagan promptly replies, "Soon."  It's as if he's telling me Daddy will be home soon.  It's adorable and I love listening to him say it!

There are countless other moments throughout the day and week that I wish I could record.  I often think I should write these moments down so I don't forget.  It already happened today - one of the kids did something this morning and I wanted to tell Ryan about it tonight and I already forgot.  :(

Ah, life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment