Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rylan Savannah Hust is Here!



While I was not happy about deciding to be induced, for several reasons already listed in another post and how the events of Tuesday, January 28, 2014 turned out, I think it was the right decision. Here is the play-by-play.

We ate dinner at Tacos El Norte Monday night with the hopes my water would break like it did with Kyleigh. Unfortunately, when we went to bed at 11p Monday night, my water was still not broken :( I felt some mild pain in the middle of the night, so I thought there was still hope for water breakage prior to arriving at the hospital. At 6a when we arrived, it still had not broken and I was really disappointed. However, there was no turning back!

We walked up to the Labor and Delivery Floor and were assigned Room 428 ( I was slightly bummed we didn't get room 415 because that's the room both Reagan and Kyleigh were born). My first nurse was Kathryn and she was great, but she was still part of the night shift, so we only had her until around 7a. My day nurses were great also-Caroline and Diana. They started the pitocin right around 7a. I was also checked at this time and was still only dilated to 1-2cm...grrr!!

Nothing was really happening, even though they continued to increase my dosage every 15 minutes. My contractions were irregular and not painful at all. Around 9:15a Dr Weiss came in and broke my water. A side note here, Diana mentioned and showed me the "small" stick used to break water. Holy cow, that thing is over a foot long!! Anyway, Dr Weiss broke my water and checked me again-only progressed to 3cm. I started having regular and more painful contractions shortly after my water broke. 

I asked for the epidural even though the contractions weren't too bad. The day was super busy and I wanted to make sure I got one before it was too late. Dr Jen gave me the epidural at 11:15a and around noon, I had progressed to 5-6cm. Labor felt great from here on out :-)

A little after 1p, they checked me again and I was about 8cm and 90% effaced. I was beginning to feel more pressure, but knew it wasn't time. They came in at 2p because I was feeling a lot more pressure. Before checking me, they decided to get the room ready for Dr Weiss, just in case. Well that was the right thing because I was dilated to 10cm and ready to go. They called Dr Weiss (and Ryan-more on that in another post) to come into the room. I started pushing around 2:25p and she arrived at 2:32p with only 3 sets of pushes! She did have the cord wrapped around her neck, but it was loosely wrapped and they weren't concerned at all.

Dr Weiss allowed Ryan to make the announcement that she was a girl!! I was in complete shock-very surprised, because I had just been assuming all along the baby was a boy. She weighed in at 7lbs, 15oz and was 21" long. The smallest of all three, but still good size. I got to hold her right away and after all her vitals were taken, they gave her back to me to nurse. NCH changed their policy-now babies don't leave for their bath, they stay with Mom until we're both transferred up to Mother/Baby floor. Ryan left to be with Reagan and I went up to my new room, 529, around 4p.

Katie stopped by, but she wasn't able to see her because she was leaving to get examined. We talked for awhile and then Katie left. At this point, she was still not named. I couldn't decide between Rylan and Kalyn and it was really bothering me she wasn't named yet. Ryan came back and we both got to watch her first bath together. That was very special for me because I didn't get to see Reagan or Kyleigh's baths. I had finally decided and told Ryan I liked Rylan better (his first choice), so we came to Rylan Savannah. Finally!

Shortly after the baths, Ryan left again to be with Reagan. Both Sue and Holly stopped by for a short visit. Ironically, just before walking in, Sue thought her name was going to be Savannah (she told me this after I told her Rylan's full name). So strange! Anyway, I spent time with these ladies and then had the rest of the night with just me and Rylan. I sent her to the nursery around 11p so I could get some rest. After all, it had been a very long and emotionally exhausting day.







No comments:

Post a Comment