Friday, July 4, 2014

Kyleigh's Potty Training - Day 2

I was completely exhausted after Day 1.  I remember feeling this way during Reagan's potty training as well.  When I went to sleep last night, I was dreading waking up this morning for fear of how the day would go.  I had several dreams about potty training last night and I woke up in a frenzy trying to get Kyleigh to the potty in time!  Ironically, the same thing happened after Day 1 with Reagan as well.

Today was a very long day.  Every hour seemed to pass so slowly and we were not having much progress.  Below is an account of the days events:

7:15a diaper removed
11:20a pee (Ryan put her on the potty)
11:50a accident
12:45p diaper for naptime
1:50p diaper removed
3:25p pee
4:45p pee (she went to the potty on her own)
5:15p pee (she told me she needed to go)
6:10p accident (during dinner)
7:10p pee (she told me she needed to go)
7:45p diaper for night

You'll notice that we took her diaper off at 7:15a and the first time she peed was 11:20a.  Those were FOUR excruciating hours.  The first hour or so wasn't too bad, but then I was expecting her to need to go and she just didn't.  We were watching her like a hawk and just wanted her to go, but she just kept holding it.  Ryan finally put her on the potty and she went.  It was such a relief because at least we figured she wouldn't have an accident.  Unfortunately, even after she peed, she had an accident only 30 minutes later. I was feeling really discouraged and wondered how the remainder of the day would play out.

Shortly after 3p, I questioned whether this was a good decision to train her.  I thought if she's holding her pee for so long and basically waiting for us to put her in a diaper, maybe she isn't ready.  THEN, the breakthrough moment!  She felt the urge to go and went in the potty.  I can't even convey the excitement I felt at this moment!  It was just the right amount of encouragement that I needed to keep pushing forward.  The next two times she indicated she needed to go and got to the potty in time.  I was a little disappointed she had a accident during dinner, but progress is being made. 

I am so glad today is over because it was seriously one of the longest days ever.  I am very encouraged with Kyleigh's progress and hope tomorrow goes well.  Maybe now that she understands the urge to go, she won't hold it for four hours tomorrow morning!  I think we're all looking forward to getting out of the house tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment