Monday, November 25, 2013

Potty Training - Day 1

Over the past few weeks, I have been having near heart attacks thinking about three kids in diapers.  As my due date approaches (8.5 weeks away!), I feel more pressure to get Reagan potty-trained.  I know this is a self imposed pressure as he's still kind of young, but my desire to have him potty-trained is intense.  Both Ryan and I have given half-hearted attempts at getting Reagan to go potty on his toilet.  But he's always refused and we haven't pushed the subject.  I just assumed "when he's ready, that's when we'll do it."  Last night, I really struggled with the thought of buying three sizes of diapers.

I woke up this morning with no plans at all (except laundry, of course) and in the blink of an eye decided I would try potty training today.  Reagan woke really late this morning and it seemed like an even better idea.  At 8:30a I put Reagan in big boy underwear and started the day of potty-training.  Following is a detailed account for the day:

9:00-9:10a sat on potty, nothing
9:20ish accident
10:05-10:10a little pee into the potty
10:55a accident
11:10-11:20a sat on potty, nothing
11:45a accident
12:05-12:10p sat on potty, nothing
12:25-12:30p sat on potty, nothing
12:55-1:05p sat on potty, nothing
1:05-3p nap time
3:10-3:35p sat on potty, nothing
3:40-3:50p sat on potty, nothing
4:15p accident
4:45p accident (possibly, he said he went but I didn't feel a wet spot on the carpet)
5:20-5:25p sat on potty, nothing
5:35p accident
5:55p accident
6:35-6:45p sat on potty, nothing
6:55-7:05p sat on potty, nothing

I felt very frustrated throughout the whole day.  It was very trying and tiring - I never thought I would be so exhausted.  The afternoon was probably the worst.  Multiple times I would ask Reagan if he needed to go potty and he would say no.  I would wait a short time and put him on the potty and he didn't go.  Then he would look me in the eye and pee right where he was instead of saying he needed to go.  I would try to put him on the potty in case there was more to come and he would just say no and cry that he didn't want to.  Maybe I was expecting too much, I don't know.  I knew this was going to be a long day, but towards the later part of the afternoon, I was about to throw in the towel and say forget it.  However, the concept of potty-training in 3 days takes commitment and dedication.  

The silver lining at the end of the day was when 10 minutes after we put Reagan to sleep, he woke up crying.  I walked into his room and asked why he was so upset and his immediate answer was "I went potty."  He, of course, was wearing a diaper, but I felt like this was very good news.  He knew even in his super absorbent diaper that he went potty.  I changed his diaper and told him we would try wearing big boy pants again tomorrow.

I'm praying tomorrow is a better day!

No comments:

Post a Comment