Tuesday, May 26, 2015

12 Weeks of Summer

A few weeks ago I started thinking about this summer and what it would look like.  I had seen lists on Pinterest before about "100 free things to do this summer" and it sparked my interest.  I then counted the number of days from when Reagan gets out of school until this first day back.  It is 87 days.  So I thought I'd come up with a list of 87 things for us to do.  I couldn't quite get that many and after talking with Ryan about taking weekends "off" I came up with a new plan.

There are 12 complete weeks of summer.  Instead of finding an activity for every single day, I decided to find an activity for each weekday - so we have 60 activities instead of 87.  Phew!!  Some of the activities I've chosen are very simple or things we would do anyway (like walk around the block or read books).  But other activities are more involved, like making homemade pizza or visiting a farm.  I've got a decent mix of at home/indoor activities as well as adventurous/outdoor activities.

I wrote all of our activities on wooden craft sticks and I'll place them in a mason jar.  Each morning, one kid will take a craft stick out and that will be the activity for the day.  I'm really looking forward to doing this with the kids because I feel they will get excited about picking the activity and it will also provide some structure during a very un-structured time of year!  At the end of the summer, I'll post a picture of all the craft sticks together for a complete list of the things we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment